Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tuesday Q: Outdoor playgrounds for little ones?


There's a park somewhat near our house with a fence around the playground where I used to take the twins and my older son to play when they were almost two and four.  I loved taking them to that park even more than the ones right near our house since there was only one gate they could actually open, which I, of course, still had to keep an eye on!  Little escape artists. Without a doubt, while pushing one in the swing the other would try to escape!  It was the only park in the immediate area where I could somewhat relax (as if parents of multiples EVER truly relax at the park) while they played.  (Hard to see #4 in the picture, but my husband is entertaining four just turned 3 year olds while the big brothers are in swim lessons at this park.)

I still worry about the twins wandering off, but they tend to stick together now, not like when they were two and literally RAN in two different directions!  Finding "safer" parks to play at was such a big deal a few years ago.

So, where do you take your young children to play outdoors?  The warmer, drier weather is coming.  I just know it is!  (Parents of older kids, please give tips to the parents of one and two year olds on where to go! :)  Parks with fences, limited openings, etc.

4 comments:

  1. Somerset Park in Bethany, off 185th, next to the pool is where only one gate is open with swings, play structure, open running area, and benches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Conestoga Park off of Scholls Ferry and 125th in Beaverton. It is gated and last I heard they are putting a splash pad in too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abernethy School in Ladd's Addition has a great toddler climbing structure. It's not a gated park (is there one close-in?), but it's on a quiet street.

    For me, it was always hard to find a park with equipment made for toddlers. Most had tall structures with openings for fire poles or ladders. I felt like I had to lifeguard on our trips to the park and never actually got to play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The summer is great for going to the schoolyards - they are my favorite because they often are completely fenced for safety (and no school in session)! :)

    ReplyDelete