Friday, April 29, 2011

Meet the Board: Robyn R.

My pregnancy story:
We found out that I was pregnant on π day (March 14th).  My original plan, to have a son born on pi day so I could name him "Patrick Issac Rhys Rose" (so the initials would be PIRR, or πr2.  You can't get much more dork than that.)

My husband’s grandfather was an identical twin, and while we know there’s not a genetic link, we got a lot of teasing before hand about the possibility of having twins.

We went to my 8 week appointment, which we were very excited for. Thus far the only sign of pregnancy was peeing on a stick, and we were excited to find out from a doctor and not a dollar store test, that yes, I was actually pregnant. As my OB was doing the exam, he made a point of saying (and sounding rather surprised) "Wow, you seem to be almost 10 weeks along". Since I had been charting, I was surprised, but figured I was just big (oh great).

As we're wrapping up with that, the nurse brings in the portable ultrasound and heads out to take care of something. My OB is a pretty cool guy, so we're talking with him and asking questions and whatnot, and mention (as he's turning on the ultrasound) that Aaron’s family has been teasing us about having twins. He chuckles and says (his words): "Ha ha, well we'll be able to put all those comments to rest in just a moment." Then he starts the ultrasound…

It doesn't take him long, but when he finds what he's looking for, he gets a slightly embarrassed look on his face and says "Uh, well, it looks like there's two". Now, at this point, Aaron and I think that he's messing with us. He has been really easy to talk to, he seemed like a really cool guy, he laughed with us... basically, we wouldn't have put it past him to joke around about this. Now, we're not used to seeing ultrasound images, so basically we're looking at a pixelated mess of shades of gray. We can’t make sense of anything. I say “two what?” convinced that my baby has two heads or something. At that point the nurse walks in and says "Oh my God, you're having twins! How exciting!"

We don’t remember much of what happened after that. We somehow made it to the parking lot and called our parents from the car. In between phone calls we spent most of our time laughing and crying, unable to drive.
Life before babies:
After having kids, I often ask myself how it is that I didn’t do MORE before these kiddos arrived. I must have had HUGE amounts of free time and cannot recall what I did! We used to enjoy going skiing/snowboarding, sleeping in until noon and eating out. We don’t do much of that anymore! :) I taught math and coached speech and debate before I had kids. At this point I have struck a nice balance of working half-time and coaching. For me, working part time makes me a better mom to my kids. :)

Advice to New Moms:
  1. Find friends! Being a SAHM can be really lonely, it’s nice to have someone else who understands what you are going through.
  2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. I am still working on this one, but it is important!
  3. Do your own research. I firmly believe that you can find a “study” to support pretty much anything you want. So, do your own research when it comes to your kids, so that YOU are comfortable with your decision and aren’t just doing something because everyone else is.
Favorite things about having multiples:
Watching them interact with each other. 

What would you do with an extra hr each day?
With an extra hour each day I would spend it sleeping!



Robyn R.
2011 FHM Social Co-chair
Mommy to Logan & Zach (10/06) and Annabelle (5/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment