Friday, April 1, 2011

Meet the Board: Audrey H.


My pregnancy / delivery story:
I knew I always wanted more than one child.  So when my daughter turned one, we started to try for baby number two.  I had just changed health insurance and needed to pick out a new OB/GYN for my first appointment.  Looking back, I am glad my husband made the drive up from Beaverton to Vancouver to meet our new practitioner!  He joked with her about having twins because at 8 weeks, I was already wearing my maternity clothes!  She reassured us that it was our second pregnancy and my body just knew what to do so it was not out of the ordinary. 

She checked for the heartbeat of the baby, measured me and asked the general first appointment questions.  She then said she had a new office ultrasound machine and asked if I would want to have an ultrasound done.  Of course I did…I wanted to see that little baby!  She showed us the heartbeat and printed out a picture of our new little one.  She then moved the wand around, to get a better picture for us, when another little flicker could be seen.  Our doctor was like “Ummm,Ummm, it looks like you may be carrying more than one baby.”  I could see the two heartbeats… and two little bodies.  After getting instructions from her to get a second, better quality ultrasound, we left the office with four ultrasound pictures and a whole lot of questions!

Our confirmation ultrasound was scheduled five days after my first appointment.  I had to wait a whole five days so of course I went to my friend (the internet) and posted my pictures on a few fertility board websites.  Within minutes, I had responses and replies from others saying that my pictures looked just like their twin ultrasounds.  My husband was in total denial and kept asking if the pulsing was the cord.  It was confirmed that I was carrying a set of identical twins, however even more questions came up.  The tech could not find the membrane of separation and terms like mono-mono, mono-di, and twin to twin transfusion came from the phone as I talked with the doctor.  I was scheduled for a 3rd high resolution ultrasound and was told I would be seen by a perinatologist.  Again, during the four day wait I searched the internet for information and just could not believe that I was having twins!  After the third ultrasound, we found out I was carrying mono-di twins.  This was a huge relief for us.

The rest of my pregnancy was pretty normal, or at least as normal as it can be while carrying twins.   I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes which was not a surprise because I had this same condition with our first daughter.  My husband and I talked about finding out the gender, as we did not find out with my daughter till she was born.  At our 18 week ultrasound we found out we were having identical boys!  

I went for my weekly appointment at 36 weeks and the boys’ growth had slowed.  It was decided that I would go in for an induction three days later.  It was the only appointment that my husband did not attend with me!  Both boys were head down so we were going to try for a double vaginal delivery.  My husband and sister were allowed into the OR for the birth at 36 weeks 3 days.  Alton Dee was born weighing in at 4lbs 12oz.  Brant Eugene came 11 minutes later weighing 5lbs 11oz.  Both boys came right into our room with us.  On the drive home, my husband said, “Do you realize we have three kids under the age of two?”  The boys’ big sister (just 22 months older) was waiting at home with family members to welcome us home three days after they were born.

Occupation & Hobbies: 
I went from a kindergarten teacher of seven years to CEO of the Hood Family.  While I miss teaching, and staying home with three kids is not always easy, I love that I have the opportunity to be at home with our children.  I love to make cards and stamp when I can find the time. I also LOVE to shop and would often take the boys to the mall while they were littler!

Joined the board of FHM:
I was looking for a way to connect with moms of multiples and joined FHM before my sons were born.  I shopped at the spring sale before my sons’ birth and started selling at the fall sale, when they were just a month old.  I love to shop and worked in retail for over 10 years, so when the board was looking for another person to help with the resale, I jumped right in.  I love being able to help families offload their used gear and clothing. 

Advice to New Moms:
While many people will say they have kids close in age, having multiples is not the same!  Trying to manage two children in the same developmental age can be a challenge… can you tell we are in the 2’s stage?!  I would also encourage parents of multiples to ask questions and use the FHM forums board to ask your questions.  The advice and tips I have received from other parents of multiples has been so helpful!

Favorite things about having multiples:
I love the way my boys interact and help each other.  At times, they seem to understand each other in a way no one else does.  I get double the crying, pinching, and biting but also double the hugs, kisses, giggles and smiles!
 


Audrey H.
2011 FHM Resale Co-coordinator
Mommy to Cora (12/26) and Alton & Brant (9/08)

No comments:

Post a Comment