Thursday, June 9, 2011

Ultrasound Oops?

Please feel free to add to the forum conversation in the comments below.


Did anyone have an ultrasound around 17 weeks and find out later that one or both babies were not the gender you were originally told?


Personally, no, but I have heard many stories of women being told a different gender when their first US was pre-20-weeks.

My friend had an US at 20 weeks and thought it was a girl until birth. They were shocked when their son was born.

Yes, I have heard this a few times. I actually know two people who had a baby a different gender than they were told to expect. I had two ultrasounds pre 20 weeks and the sonographer would not even hint or say "maybe" which gender because she said you really can not be 100% sure until 20 weeks (and even then there is a chance it could be different). We appreciated her honestly!

A friend of mine was told she was having a boy and found out towards the end of her pregnancy that it was a girl. My cousin's wife had the opposite...she was told they were having a girl and found out towards the end of her pregnancy that it was a boy.

One of our earlier ultrasounds, probably 13 weeks, we were told one was definitely a boy and the other most likely a girl.  At the 20 week ultrasound it was confirmed they were two boys. I'm a Nurse Midwife, so I knew better--as stated previously here, before 20 weeks the ultrasound is not definitive enough. And even after 20 weeks, people occasionally get a surprise.

Thanks for all the feedback! I was told we are having 2 girls but I had a really hard time trying to see the 'girl parts' on baby B. I thought I had seen something hanging out by the babys leg.... I will wait until my next ultrasound to feel a little more confirmed. Thanks again Ladies!

Yep, we were told 2 girls, and although it was early, the tech was really positive and said he had been wrong once in something like 17yrs (it turns out he was the supervisor also!). A month or so later, we found out they were actually b/g. Good thing no one had started buying matching pink sets!

At 14 weeks, the U/S tech said she got a very good look at one of them and since they were identical, the other baby would be the same. We had an U/S every two weeks, and I think for the next 2 months I always asked if they were still boys! The answer was always "yes".

We went in at about 14 weeks and the tech said he could take a 98% guess...my husband said no cause he knew I would be out buying stuff the minute I knew the genders! At our 20 week, we found out we were having B/B and it was totally obvious!

I had an awesome tech at NW Perinatal (Suzanna-loved her!) who "guessed" that both of mine were girls at 13 weeks. She was right! We confirmed it at 16 weeks and every few weeks after that (I always had them double check, lol)



No comments:

Post a Comment