Sunday, March 6, 2011

Baths for Two



Here's a conversation going on with our members on BigTent (our member website) about bathing two (or more)Add to the conversation in the comments if you have ideas on bathing two babies/toddlers at once:

baths for two
When were you able to bathe both/all of the kids at the same time?
My boys are 13 months and I still have to bathe them separately in a small tub because they are bath daredevils! I tried twice to bathe them together (once I even included my 4 yr old to help keep the boys above water!) and it was like an adrenaline rush trying to keep them from diving under!!
It is a chore getting all three clean, and I'll be honest, we don't do it that often. :)
thanks.

We put the girls in a laundry basket in the bath tub when they were around 10 months old. It helped confine them while still giving them deeper water to splash in. I'm not sure when we stopped using the basket, so your boys might be too big for the idea.

have you tried the bath seats?
They worked great for us.

I love the laundry basket idea! I am right there with you! I am too nervous to bath my two eight month olds together without my husband there to help me.

I got a non-slip tub mat from One Step Ahead and the boys are doing great bathing together...sure one gets kicked now and then, but we do a quick clean and they play as long as they are being good. Now and then my older son jumps in with them, but that doesn't last long because it's a lot to handle!

We started to do bath together around 18 months or so. We would fill the tub with just a bit of water and a very large non slip mat. They loved it. I was always way to worried to bathe them together so my husband had that job!

We use the bath rings - they work really well and sometimes you can pick them up second hand from a consignment store. If you buy them new, shop around b/c i noticed that prices vary a lot for some strange reason.

We've bathed them together ever since they could sit safely. I bought a bath mat that is only marginal as far as staying suctioned to the tub, but once both boys are sitting on it, it's OK. I try to avoid bathing them by myself but had to recently, and it was OK. Our biggest issue is that they like to stand up. I don't know how many times I say, "sit on your bottom" during a bath...but I'd guess about 25!

We did the bath together as soon as the twins could sit up in a bath seat and then they would go in with my then 2 1/2 year old and we would get it all done at once. Those things were lifesavers for getting everyone bathed quickly and efficiently!!
P.s. I got mine from the resale at great prices and noticed multiple there at the last resale.

I also use the bath seats. I can't say that bath time is my favorite time, but it's all that works. I still usually wait until my husband or nanny are available to help. I used to squeeze my 3 year old in too, but now I have her bathe separate so she can play longer and spread out. :)

I do not love bath time at all, so the idea of bathing my kids separately was never appealing because it doubles the time. When they were little I just didn't fill the tub much, you only need a little bit of water. My aunt used to just put a towel in the bottom of the tub instead of a mat. I have never tried that but it sounds like a good and cheap option to me, just like the laundary basket. I begged my brother not to buy me the bath rings and he did anyway...buying them new was a complete waste of money in my humble opinion. I used them only a few times.

They have an inflatable tub at Babies R Us for around $12. It's pretty good - we used it for awhile with the twins. Your guys may be too big for it and I can't remember when we stopped using it, but it may be worth checking into...it's cheap at least.

 

1 comment:

  1. We used to bath the kids separately in the baby tub, when they could sit up and enjoy the bath we did them separately but in the ducky tub. It was an inflatable tub we put in the big tub. The kids loved that thing! Then we finally transitioned to the tub and they bathe together now.

    ReplyDelete