Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Meet the Board: Kelly B.

Finding out I was having triplets:  Like many others in the group, my husband and I had been trying to have a baby for a couple years so I was ecstatic when I found out I was pregnant.  Then at 6 weeks I had some minor spotting and, though we knew it was a bit of an overreaction, my husband rushed me to the ER in the middle of the night.  They sent me back for an ultrasound and the ultrasound tech immediately looked nervous.  We begged the tech to tell us if our baby was alright.  She wasn’t supposed to give us any information, but we looked so desperate she finally told us the baby looked fine and then she grinned and told us she saw MORE THAN ONE… “Twins!?!?!!?”  my husband and I exclaimed at once!  We were so relieved everything looked okay and immediately began contemplating how our life would change now that we were having 2 babies, not 1.  The tech took many pictures of the babies and was entering data into the computer, when I noticed she selected a 3, and not a 2, from a list of numbers…we had mistakenly assumed that “more than one” meant twins, but we were actually having triplets!  So we had a whole new wave of shock as we thought about our future with not 1, not 2, but 3 babies.  

Pregnancy and Delivery:  The rest of my pregnancy was relatively uneventful.  At 27 weeks I was put on bed rest.  The babies were delivered at 33 weeks 5 days, weighing 3lb 14oz, 3lb 6oz, and 3lb 13oz, and I got to see each of them and hear their little cries before they were whisked away to the NICU.  The babies came home one at a time over the next few weeks and have been making our lives infinitely more exciting – and busy! – ever since.

Life Pre-baby:  I worked as a consultant for biotech companies and then as a research analyst for the state before deciding to stay at home with my babies.  There are definitely times when I miss working, but I am so thankful for the time I get to spend with my babies.  Before babies, I also loved, traveling, cooking, hiking, and seeing movies – none of which I get to do much of anymore but I’m looking forward to getting back to them someday.

Advice to new moms
·       Get help:  I think many of us are not the type of people who like to accept help, but try to put that aside and accept help from anyone who offers; most people really are eager to help.  Not everyone will be able to watch babies for you, but even bringing a meal, folding your laundry, cleaning your bathroom will make your life easier and allow you to  rest and spend more time bonding with your babies. 

·       Prepare food ahead of time:  I think most moms of multiples (well, probably any mom) can attest to the fact that its difficult to find time to cook.  Anytime I do actually find the time to cook a meal, I make a double batch and freeze half.  This gives me many easy to prepare meals for the days when I’m just too busy to find time for preparing a big meal.

·       Enjoy the ride:  Raising multiples will be more exhausting and stressful than you could ever comprehend, but it will also be incredibly fun!  Instead of focusing on the difficult parts (it's noon and I’ve already changed 12 poopy diapers), try to focus on the fun parts and see the humor in your situation (the other day, my son had to go home from church in pink pants because I hadn’t restocked the diaper bag and we only had spare girl’s clothes…not many parents of singletons are forced to do things like that :).



Kelly B.
2011 FHM Newsletter Editor
Mommy to 10 month old GGB triplets

2 comments:

  1. Love your Story Kelly! I have followed your stories on FHM for a long time and your forum posts. Two is crazy enough for me. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story and adorable children!

    Tiffany Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fun to get to ready your story, Kelly! Love, love, love your babies! And can I just say how amazing you ARE?!!!

    ReplyDelete