Friday, February 25, 2011

Cloth Diapers: YES YOU CAN!

Think about how many people have said to you, “I don’t know how you do it!” It seems that as parents of multiples we amaze and astound singleton parents on a daily basis. Every time someone says that to me my automatic thought is, “what is the alternative?” I mean, really, it’s not like I have a choice whether or not to “do it”, I just have to.  You certainly don’t “have to” do cloth diapers or make your own baby food or any of the other more natural choices that add more to your “to do” list, but if you choose to I would argue that it becomes much like the above issue…you just do it and it becomes a part of the routine.
When I began, during my first pregnancy, to consider the supplies I would need when my new baby arrived I was plagued by a feeling of guilt and trepidation when contemplating diapering my child. "The Real Diaper Association, an advocacy group founded in 2004, estimates that 27.4 billion disposable diapers are used each year in the U.S. (according to the EPA, that translates into more than 3.4 million tons of waste dumped into landfills) and that producing those diapers also consumes huge amounts of petroleum, chlorine, wood pulp and water." [1]

With these statistics in mind I wanted to consider how I could decrease my son's still growing carbon footprint. I began to research cloth diapers, chlorine-free diapers, and other earth-friendly options. What I came up with was that, not only could I save my family a lot of money, reduce our personal waste, thus benefiting the planet, I could also improve the health and well-being of my child. Conventional diapers contain chlorine and other harmful chemicals that can cause allergies and often contribute to diaper rash and discomfort, but what really sold me was the idea that I could keep thousands of diapers out of the landfill. For more in depth information on the problems with disposable diapers check out this article by Peggy O'Mara, one of the editors of Mothering magazine: 
http://mothering.com/green-living/a-tale-of-two-diapers

When I found out that my second pregnancy was a twin pregnancy there was no question that I would be using cloth diapers. I mean, yes it is more work, but we are talking disposable diapers for TWO! The cost of that alone is staggering! So, the real question is… “How do I do it?”

Check back tomorrow to find out!


Taira H.
2011 FHM Support Services
Mommy to Kyan (3 1/2), Mason and Ronan (8 months)

[1]Time- Diapers Go Green Thursday, Jan. 10, 2008 By Pamela Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment