Monday, May 23, 2011

Meet the Board: Liane B.


When we started thinking about having a baby, I started preparing. I typed questions for the birth center we were going to use. I knew which stroller we were going to buy. I found the top three daycares near my office. I was ready for a little baby. As soon as we got confirmation that I was pregnant, I made an appointment with the midwife.

The birth center was so relaxed and personal. I loved the idea of having my baby in a home without sterile medical equipment or hospital noises and smells.  However, the planner in me was anxious about not having an ultrasound until 20 weeks. I had to see that there was actually something inside me. When I was offered the chance to have an NT scan at 11 weeks, I jumped at it. The joke was on me, the planner.

The sonographer placed the
transducer on my stomach and immediately asked, “You are aware there are two?” Um, no, we were not aware. Of course, I was thrilled that I was pregnant. I was overjoyed that the babies seemed healthy. It’s just that hearing that there were two was shocking. Shocking is an understatement.

All my carefully made baby plans went out the window. I found a progressive OB. I read the twin bible, When You’re Expecting Twins, by Dr. Luke. I crammed nearly 3500 calories in my mouth every day. I rested whenever I needed a break. We bought a double stroller. We hired a nanny. I started getting really excited about having twins. And, I had a great pregnancy. I was very lucky. My girls were born at 36 weeks 6 days after my blood pressure skyrocketed. I labored in the bright lights of the operating room with what seemed like hundreds of medical personnel surrounding me. Rowan and Gracen were big and healthy and spent no time in the NICU. I couldn’t have planned it any better. 


Life before twins: I read a few books a week.  I coached swimming, and we played Ultimate Frisbee.  We traveled a lot.  Our last pre-pregnancy trip was sailing around Virgin Gorda.

Life now: I watch a few reality TV shows a night.  We bike to neighborhood parks and OMSI with the girls in tow. We’ve found the girls love to travel.  We hope to make it to Belize someday.

Advice for new families: Take any help that’s offered, and ask for help when you need it.  Be specific about what you need.  Having someone sweep the floor made my day.



Liane B.
2011 FHM Co-President
Mommy to twin girls Rowan and Gracen (3/08) and stepson, Marty (98).
  

Photo credits:  B&W-Eric Cable
Last-Catchlights NW

1 comment: